Thursday, December 13, 2007

Defense Reaction

So it turns out I was right back in September, when I speculated that idiosyncratic comics writer Joe Casey was working on a revamp of Marvel's old Defenders property. The book, which will debut in March, is a six-issue limited series titled The Last Defenders. It's being edited by Steven Wacker and set in the present-day Marvel Universe.

In a brief Newsarama interview, Casey acknowledges the concept's inherent major flaw: that, unlike with most long-running Marvel books - remember, The Defenders ran for more than 150 issues back in the 1970s and 1980s - there is no concept, basically. So when he says he's confident that he's found a way to make the Defenders work, I'm curious what it is.

Casey also makes the following, rather pointed statement:

I don't think anyone will be able to predict where this series is going (and consider that an open invitation for readers to try... that's where the fun is). It feels new to me, and I'd like to think I'm a decent barometer for this stuff. Not a lot of stuff has felt new lately, a feeling that I see vibrating through the readership.

Coming from most creators, a comment like this would seem slightly preposterous. But looking at Casey's œuvre to date, it's easy to believe him.

Also recommended, while we're at it:



Joe Casey and artist Derec Donovan's revamp of Rob Liefeld's Youngblood, published as an ongoing monthly series by Image Comics starting in January 2008.

No comments: