Monday, August 25, 2008

Up for Air

Sometimes, DC sends me comics to review, which is very nice of them. The most recent one reached me literally minutes before leaving the house for an eleven-hour transatlantic flight last week. Ooo, nice, something to read on the way over, I thought.

What it was? Oh, it was the first issue of Air, the new Vertigo series by G. Willow Wilson and M.K. Perker. You know, the one starring a flight attendant, dealing with the fears of flying in the aftermath of September 11, 2001? With the images of crashing planes and people in free-fall? Yup, that's the one.

It was my first transatlantic flight, you see, and I don't feel very comfortable on planes. But, hey, it's just a comic, let's not make a thing of it, right?

Well, the trouble started with my flight being late. When we were finally ready to go, the first take-off had to be aborted last-minute because, as it turned out, the runway hadn't been cleared, and there was another plane trying to land right on top of us. They had to abort landing at the last minute. "They were a little close, so we'll have to try again," the captain cheerfully informed us. Finally on the other side of the big pond, there was a jam at the baggage belt. Then my connecting flight was late, and I had to spend the night. Luckily, the curse seemed to be broken and everything went according to plan on the next day.

Now, I'm not superstitious, but at this point I think it's safe to say that, whatever grievances I've caused the Standard Attrition crew (which Ms. Wilson belongs to) with the sales column, you may consider them properly avenged. I didn't just read Air. I experienced it.

No comments: