Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Wash: 01/20/10

o The comics recommendation of the week is Grant Morrison and Sean Murphy's Joe the Barbarian #1, brought to you by the nice people at DC Comics/Vertigo for an almost insulting $ 1.00.

Here's Sean Murphy, "Talking Comics with Tim (O'Shea)" in a long interview that's well worth a read.

o Phonomagician Kieron Gillen about reviews and creative collaboration. It's sharp, intriguing stuff.

That's why I mostly try to blame "the creators" for anything that's going on in a comic in my reviews, by the way. It's my very clever and stealthy way of concealing the fact that I don't have a clue who does what.

o DC Comics in April: Greg Rucka is off the main strip in Detective Comics, which means I'll drop my subscription. (He stays on for the "Question" back-up, but eight pages aren't worth $ 3.99 to me.)

I wish DC the best of luck for their upcoming Doc Savage and The Spirit titles, but surely no one can expect these books to fare any better than the Red Circle titles. There's just too much material and too little promotion out there, and this stuff doesn't look like it's going to stand out in any way, unfortunately.

Brian Wood's DV8 starts at WildStorm. When was the last time Wood worked on characters he didn't own? Must have been 2000 or thereabouts. I'm curious about this one. Sadly, WildStorm made the decision to publish three other WildStorm Universe books as well in April, so even if it's the best comic in the world, it's going to be an uphill struggle to get noticed.

Finally, at Vertigo, Jeff Lemire's curious Sweet Tooth gets its first $ 9.99 collection, while his book-length narrative The Nobody returns as a $ 14.99 paperback. You could do a lot worse than spend money on this pair of books, probably.

o Image Comics in April: Turf looks interesting, certainly, but not everyone's Gerard Way.

Also, good to see that Image can afford to join DC and Marvel's promotional reign of the $ 1.00 comics. I'm not sure anyone's desperate for a Witchblade #1 or a Youngblood #1 (scratch that, I'm actually curious about the Joe Casey remix of that one), but good, appealing work like like Chew, Age of Bronze or The Walking Dead should hopefully find a few more readers this way.

And to have more for them once they come back, Image has new paperback collections of Chew, Underground and Madman Atomic Comics for them.

Also, Rob Liefeld takes on the apocalypse. As usual when Rob Liefeld takes on anything, it's expected that the apocalypse loses.

Duncan Rouleau's The Great Unknown is also solicited again after a one-year absence. Fingers crossed.

o Marvel Comics in April: I'm about as interested in ordering a bunch of comics created by top-secret people and tying in with Siege as I am in receiving a head massage with a ball-peen hammer, personally, but I'm sure most of them will find their audience.

I have high hopes that the "classified" writer and artist of Captain America: Who Won't Wield the Shield is Peter Bagge, though. Wouldn't it be a great companion piece to Brendan McCarthy's must-read Spider-Man: Fever?

The Joe Casey/Jim Mahfood team-up is tempting me to buy an issue of Web of Spider-Man, meanwhile. Which is a big thing for me—I haven't had a taste of Web of Spider-Man since 1994 or so. I'll definitely get Avengers: The Origin, though, as soon as all of it appears between two covers.

Also, more books by and with womenses, with awkwardish womensy titles. Way to go, Marvel.

Warren Ellis' semi-notable Excalibur appears in paperback for the first time, and for lord knows what reason, they're also reprinting the awful three-parter prior to Ellis' run that was plotted by Scott Lobdell. Mainly, I'm curious whether future volumes will include Ellis' Starjammers and Pryde & Wisdom miniseries.

o Still online: My very abusive and controversial review of Mark Waid's Soggy Flub Spider-Man.

No comments: