Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Wash: 04/07/10

o "Feeder System for Brick and Mortar Stores"

Marvel editor Joe Quesada's comments on distributing Marvel comics on Apple's new Ipad device are probably the most bafflingly wrong-headed thing I've seen this week, in terms of comics-related nonsense on the Internet.

My only question about Quesada's statement is: Does he believe that, or is Marvel just scared stiff of those direct-market, "brick-and-mortar" retailers? Take a wild guess.

o "I Was Just Old Enough to Know I Was Going to Get Hosed If I Let These Guys Drive My Bus."

The Darwyn Cooke panel at Wondercon, as reported by Graeme McMillan for Comic Book Resources, provides another few insights into what's holding American comics and their creators back.

"'You get worried because of how far your readers will go with you. Are they my readers or Green Lantern's readers? I was worried. I sweated that, I sweated that a lot.' Part of [Cooke's –ed.] concern was the rougher style of art, which he said he'd been consciously avoiding since an earlier attempt in the Catwoman prologue that ran in issues of Detective Comics in 2001 met with editorial disapproval.

"[...] This was a symptom of a larger problem, [Cooke –ed.] suggested, as creators try to meet expectations of fans and editors: 'It's hard to explain, and I'm not whining, but in the mainstream direct market, none of us are drawing they way we want to draw.'"

Another report that's well worth your time.

o "It's Not the Size of the Boat, It's the Motion of the Ocean"

Sean T. Collins makes me realize that my decision to wait for the first collection of Jonathan Hickman and Dustin Weaver's S.H.I.E.L.D. was foolish and wrong and in need of immediate correction.

It's been a while (Morrison's New X-Men?) since a serial Marvel comic made me anticipate the "next issue" with something approaching giddy excitement. Maybe this one can pull it off. Unfortunately, I'll still have to wait until next month for the first issue.

o "One of These X-Men Will Die"

I'm very much the kind of comics reader who should care about this sort of promotion, but in practice, I don't give a toss. I haven't read an X-Men comic in a year (apart from Peter David's X-Factor, which continues to be consistently entertaining, at least), and Marvel doesn't give me the sense that I'm missing anything.

I'd love to read a Matt Fraction X-Men series, for instance, but Marvel don't seem to think that's a good idea, for some reason.

Seriously: The last X-Men run I really enjoyed was Grant Morrison's, and I doubt even he could get a good book out of the way these titles have been run since 2004. No wonder sales are in the toilet.

o "Hammering the Resurrection Button"

Whereas the tired old "SOMEONE WILL DIE!" hat is the only creative means Marvel creators seem to have left to try and sell their flagging X-Men line, DC is pulling in the opposite direction right now, as Douglas Wolk points out at Techland, and—not surprisingly—ends up in much the same spot as a result.

o "I Do It Without Thinking."

Robert Kirkman's approach to his characters in The Walking Dead, as outlined by the writer in Monday's Q&A, is a controversial topic in the comments over at The Beat.

No comments: