Friday, April 9, 2010

The Wash: 04/09/10

o "A Two-Page Spread of Sixteenth-Century Florence So Gorgeous and Imaginatively Precise That It Takes a Moment to Register That It's Also Got Galactus in It"

Douglas Wolk does his twice-weekly-or-so thing at Techland again, talking about the way S.H.I.E.L.D. artist Dustin Weaver and Market Day writer/artist James Sturm root their stories in place and time.

o "An Insanely Responsible and Decent Adult"

I'm very glad that I wrapped up my 6,000-word piece on the evolution of superheroes earlier this week, before I saw David Uzumeri's succinct cross-examination of Astro Boy and All Star Superman; otherwise, I would have ended up on another tangent that would have made the thing wholly impossible, if it isn't already.

Anyway, this is the type of article that makes me glad we've suddenly got sites like Techland (see above) and, in this case, Comics Alliance. I like the thought of this being the type of thing that got them the Eisner nomination. Congratulations!

o "I Want That Sandwich."

Kurt Busiek, inspired by Heidi MacDonald's MoCCA food guide, needs help for what may turn out to be his best work yet.

Also: I want that sandwich, so I hope Mr. Busiek shares his findings. If I ever get to New York City, I suspect I'll just be hopping from one food place to the next.

The Statue of Liberty is nice, but if it came down to the Statue of Liberty or that sandwich, let me tell you, the pale old French lady would have to wait another day for me to mount her.

o "Misunderstood, Undervalued and at Odds with Itself"

Not comics, but quite: New York Times movie critic A. O. Scott provides a rather sketchy, but still worthwhile little essay on what criticism means and does and why it always and never fails at everything it sets out to do.

No comments: